Thursday, December 27, 2007

When Egyptians go megalomaniacs

Egypt wants to pass a law that copyrights the pyramids and the sfinxs. Saying that this will protect all pharaonic sites, even the ones not looking like pyramids.
"The new law will completely prohibit the duplication of historic Egyptian monuments which the Supreme Council of Antiquities considers 100 per cent copies"
According to Zahi Hawass,the head of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities.
Sue me.

While I agree that the pharaonic history must be preserved, the money from preserving should come from tourism, museum funds around the world and the country itself.
This will only lead to less books and films about the pharaonic era. And less tourists.
But on the other hand, as an independent woman, It has always buggered my how rude the Egyptians are to unaccompanied female tourists. So, I settle for the British Museum if I'm to travel alone.

English article - Fox news
Swedish article - DN

No comments: